The National Museum of Arts Chisinau Moldova,
Muzseutopia project 2008
The National Museum of Arts of the Republic of Moldova is situated on 31st-August-1989-Street. It is housed in two edifices built at the end of the 19th century and connected by a gallery added in the mid 70’s. The collection was launched in 1939, though most of it was looted during World War II. By the end of 1944, the museum received some art works from Tretyakov Gallery and the Hermitage in Moscow and opened a permanent exhibition that included works of West European and Soviet artists. The Museum collection has been complemented with ancient icons, works by Bessarabian artists, and other outstanding masters from Russia, Western Europe, Japan, India, and China. The Former Communist Party Museum of the Moldavian SSR was inaugurated in 1976 in this very building where it stayed until 1991. During the 15 years of its existence, it presented the activities of the Moldavian Communist Party and contained propaganda materials in the form of leaflets, newspapers, books, pictures, sculptures, and personal belongings of party activists.